Middlebury Catering Policy and Guidelines
All catered events must be planned and confirmed with Event Management and the Catering office a minimum of 7 days prior to the event.
Menu Selections at middcatering.catertrax.com
• Buffet Table (food in chafers/platters/bowls)
• Separate table for self-serve beverages and desserts
• Attendants are provided at a fully catered buffet style dinner event with a minimum of 25 guests. The ratio of server to guest will be determined at the discretion of the catering manager.
A La Carte meals and receptions DO NOT include attendants.
Menu selections at middcatering.catertrax.com
• Complete table set-up with complete service
• Attendants are provided at a fully Catered plated and served meal with a minimum of 25 guests. The ratio of server to guest will be determined at the discretion of the catering manager. Served meals will require additional service staff. There will be an hourly charge for staff that are scheduled in addition to the standard number of staff required for a buffet. Staffing will be determined at the discretion of the catering manager with the customer's best interest in mind.
• A precise count of each entrée item is requested at minimum of (5) days prior to the event
Reception style events
• Labor for staffing will be added with the customer's best interest in mind and will be included in the estimate
Alcohol service at an event
• Beer and wine service as well as non-alcoholic beverage selections may be added to an event
• We strictly adhere to the Vermont Department of Liquor Control laws
• Separate charges for alcohol service will apply to any event where there is alcohol. The hourly charge for bartenders will be $25 and there will be a minimum of $100 for an event where alcohol is served (charges for bartenders, wine service, attendants, and crowd control may apply)
• All alcohol must be ordered through Middlebury Catering and served by a DLC certified staff member
• Under no circumstances may a customer supply their own alcohol. BYOB is not legal at any catered event
• Persons hosting an unstaffed “drop-off” event, will assume responsibility for all Middlebury Catering equipment. Charges for any missing equipment will be billed to the sponsoring department or group. Middlebury Catering will pick up equipment. We are not responsible for providing and setting up tables for drop-off events. It is the responsibility of the customer to provide adequate table space to accommodate the order. Please discuss the needs with our catering team if you are not sure how much space is needed.
• A service fee of $25 will be charged to the customer’s EDORDA for each invoice
• Orders may be delivered up to 30 minutes prior to the scheduled service time. We will always make our best effort to pick up as close to the requested pick up time as possible. If timing is critical with regard to pick up time, please specify.
Our formal china, flatware, and glassware is available for an additional fee when using Middlebury Catering. Compostable wares are included at no additional cost. Upgraded bamboo compostable wares are available at our cost with no up-charge to the customer.
Customers may use our daily-use plates, cups, and flatware at no additional cost if your event is in Proctor, Ross, or Atwater (regular dining hall wares).
Full China service on location at Atwater or Kirk: $3.00 per person
Glassware and B&B plates: $1.50 per person
Glassware only - $1.00 per person
Offsite China Service: $6.00 per person
Glassware and B&B plates: $3.50 per person
Glassware only: $2.00 per person
Linen rental is available. Please keep in mind additional linen charges may accrue due to linen coverage of bar tables, registration tables, and cocktail high tops. Please refer to CaterTrax for pricing. Our catering team is happy to advise regarding table linen coverage.
Centerpieces or decorations are not included in our pricing. We will gladly discuss and support when appropriate.
When there is a request for a meal to be plated and served there will be a fee for the additional staff required to implement this style of service.
When service or attendants are requested at an event that would typically be considered a “drop off” there will be an additional fee.
Please do not remove any Middlebury Catering supplies or equipment. If supplies are removed, your department will be charged the replacement cost.
All equipment sent out with catered events will be picked up immediately following the event or the following day.
For health and safety reasons, no perishable food may be removed from a facility where a catered event is held.
A final guest count guarantee is required 5 days prior to your event. If there is no request for an adjustment, the customer will be charged for the original guest count or the number of guests in attendance, if that number is higher.
All cancellations must be made 5 days prior to the event. Events cancelled with less than the required notice may be subject to costs incurred. Cancellations less than 24 hours in advance will be subject to full payment. The customer must notify BOTH the Catering Department and Event Management of cancelled events.
Customer Order Confirmation
When your order has been processed, you will receive a notification via email from Catertrax. Please take a few minutes to review the document and make sure all of the details align with the requested specifications (e.g., time, guest count, location, date, special dietary requests, quantities, EDORDA).
Your event may require additional planning, and we are available to discuss any detail. Contact us to discuss service style, menu selections, linen or any other elements that we might support.
Catering Manager: Megyn Pitner at email@example.com or 802-443-5959
Rentals outside of Middlebury Catered Events
Middlebury Catering regrets that it does not have the resources to allow people or organizations that are not associated with a Middlebury College catered event to borrow or rent our linen or equipment for off campus or personal purposes.
When resources allow we are happy to support student groups by lending Cambros and other minimal equipment but it must be accounted for in CaterTrax for inventory purposes.
Linen may be rented for on campus use for events that are not catering at the "Linen Only" rates.
Middlebury Catering at Bread Loaf Campus
Bread Loaf offers an alternative to the main campus dining venues during the academic year. It boasts of being the home to the Summer School Programs during the months of June, July and August. Catering at Bread Loaf requires a minimum guest count of 50.
Many of our policies and guidelines remain the same at Bread Loaf, however, there are variations. There are entirely different catering costs and menus available. The Catertrax menu does not apply. Please discuss directly with the catering manager.